Wednesday, October 29, 2008

5 Days of Pumpkins

What kind of face should I carve a happy face or a scarry one?


I guess it doesn't matter since Daddy does all the carving anyway.


I thought I would try to make this week special by making something with pumpkin or some other type of squash each night . So far I have been able to keep to the plan. Monday night I out did myself by making a sweet potato casserole and a Turtle Pumpkin Pie among the main meal and biscuits. Tuesday we had spaghetti and spaghetti squash, Thursday I made those lowfat pumpkin cookies and we carved pumpkins which Lillie tried to eat the top off of hers.

Anyway, the Sweet potato casserole comes from the cooking light magazine which I am a total fan of. I love getting the magazine in the mail and dreaming about the meals that I might one day cook once we get passed the noodle and the peanut butter and honey stage. But, I do however try to make a meal once or twice a month out of the ordinary.. I usually end up substituting ingredients because I don't have them on hand but I have learned from the Queen of Improvising and Substituting (My mom) so many of these recipes end up tasting well.

This is a Vandersteen family favorite and has even won over my Grandmother's recipe of Yams and Apples.This one is now part of our Thanksgiving menu.


Sweet Potato Casserole (go to this link for a picture since I didn't take a picture of ours)

Yield
16 servings
Ingredients
Potatoes:
2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Cooking spray
Topping:
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.
Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add half-and-half, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs; beat well (mixture will be thin). Scrape mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
To prepare topping, sprinkle miniature marshmallows over top of casserole. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans, and sprinkle over potato mixture and marshmallows. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Our Turtle Pumpkin Pie
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. caramel ice cream topping, divided
1 honey Maid Graham cracker crust (which I didn't have on hand I ended up making a nilla wafer crust)
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp of pecan pieces, divided
1 cup cold milk
2 pkg (3.4 oz.) Vanilla Instant pudding
1 cup of canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tub (8 oz) whipped topping
Pour 1/4 cup caramel topping into crust; sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans, Beat milk, pudding mixes and spices with a whisk until blended. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of whipped topping. Spread into crust. Refigerate at least 1 hour. Top with remaining whipped topping, caramel topping and pecans before serving. Makes 10 servings.

No comments: